The Big BandExpress with Asplund and Krystal
LiveMusic - Big Band Jazz
The Big BandExpress
- Sat 18-05-2019 9:30 PM - 2 h
$200 (in advance/ *Fringe members), $230 (on the day), $150 (**students/ senior); includes one standard drink
The Big BandExpress was born in Hong Kong in January 2016, under the leadership of trombonist Oliver Cura. The band is a twenty-piece ensemble built around the core of the successful BandExpress, with the inclusion of additional horns (trumpets, trombones and saxophones) to entertain audiences and events which require the distinctive textures, expression and power of the Big Band sound. Band members include Hong Kong based Jazz musicians, Freelance Session Players and Music Educators.
The ‘Big Band era’ its associated with swing music and dance halls of the 1930s to 50s. Famous band leaders and musicians of the time included Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Duke Elligton and Benny Goodman. The Big BandExpress pays homage to this deep heritage yet goes decisively beyond by playing diversity of genres covering RnB, Funk, Rock, Jazz-Fusion, Latin and Pop as well as swing – showcasing Big Band music through the 1960s, 70s, 80s, 90s and bringing it right up to date. Sets typically incorporate hits from artists and bands such as Stevie Wonder, Alicia Keys, Incognito, and Swing Out Sisters as well as tunes from famous contemporary big bands of Buddy Rich, Sammy Nestico, Mark Taylor, Dave Wolpe, Arturo Sandoval and Roger Holmes – to name but a few.
- Admission: 30 minutes before show time.
- 40 seats plus standing spaces. Seats are first-come-first-served.
- Drink coupon will be distributed at the door.
- No outside drink or food is allowed inside the venue.
- *Fringe Club membership card MUST be presented at the door.
- **Limited quota. Student card/ Identity card MUST be presented at the door.
Fringe Club (852) 2521 7251