- Latest News
“Jazz-Go-Central, Jazz-Go-Fringe” is financially supported by the Arts Capacity Development Funding Scheme of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
What is Jazz-Go-Central, Jazz-Go-Fringe?
Central – Not only denotes its location, it is also our mission of bringing Jazz from the edge to the centre stage or vice versa.
Fringe – Symbolizes the innovative and experimental spirit of Jazz and the Fringe Club.
A project to use Fringe Club as a base to:
- Elevate artistic standard, status and popularity of Jazz music
- Nurture young musicians and arts administrators
- Create a more fertile and vibrant local Jazz and music ecology
- Develop and maintain a virtuous cycle of sustainable growth through capacity building and strengthening the connectivity among audience, musicians/ music groups, arts management/ promoters and the community at large
Core values of the project:
1. Jazz is freedom
Jazz is the spirit of openness to different music possibilities.
2. Jazz is a personal statement
Each improvised tune is a personal and individual statement.
3. Jazz is a philosophy
Every mistake is an opportunity in jazz. There is no wrong notes in Jazz. It changes the way you perceive the meaning of mistake in life.
4. Jazz is a lifestyle
Jazz is about dance, drinks, networking, relaxation and a very laid back way of living.
A curated project held over 16 months in two phases and consists of three parts:
1. Regular concerts
Annual spotlight events Open Nights, Big Band Nights, Jazz+ (cross-over with other music kinds/ art forms), Open Platform for networking and showcasing.
2. Educational and audience building programmes:
Lunch time concerts, master-classes, open rehearsals for schools, Jazz Youth Scheme to train up a pool of young people in arts administration, marketing and music education.
3. Value-added and extended experience:
Teaching kit, live jazz recording, photo exhibition.
Tel: 2521 7251
The content of these programmes and activities does not reflect the views of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Hong Kong Fringe Club reserves the right to change the programmes, activities, performers and speakers