Jazz Workshop Vol.3 – Jazz Improvisation
LiveMusic - Workshop
- Thu 21-03-2019 8:00 PM - 2 h
$150 (participant), $100 (observer); 20% off (*Fringe members), 30% off (**Student, Senior)
Presented by the Fringe Club as one of the programmes of the “Jazz-Go-Central, Jazz-Go-Fringe” project, Jazz Workshop is the training programme of the Jazz Youth Internship Scheme Phase II. The workshop will be opened to the public as well.
This third and final workshop in the series will be hosted by Hong Kong jazz guitar legend Eugene Pao, who will share his approach to jazz improvisation, including phrasing, motif development and melodic ideas. He’ll also demonstrate those topics by playing some famous jazz standards. If you’re a jazz guitarist, you’re welcome to participate – bring your own guitar and get on-the-spot coaching from Eugene!
*The workshop will be mainly in Cantonese.
Simply put, Eugene Pao is Hong Kong’s most publicly recognised jazz musician, and his name is synonymous with jazz in our city. No-one could be more deserving of that reputation – Eugene has been at the vanguard of promoting jazz here through his performances and recordings over the past 30+ years.
Hong Kong first discovered its own guitar hero in the mid 1980s, when Eugene returned from studying in the U.S. and began playing around town. Recognition from leading international jazz musicians came early. Some of his early recordings featured such legends as bassist Eddie Gomez, blues great Jimmy Witherspoon and saxophonist Michael Brecker.
Over the past three decades, Eugene Pao has truly established himself as Hong Kong’s premier jazz guitarist. He continues to travel the world, performing at international jazz festivals, concert halls and jazz clubs, and taking part in recording projects. As a composer, he has contributed music to countless TV commercials, and his film soundtracks have been nominated for best original score at the Hong Kong Film Awards.
- Jazz guitarists of all levels are welcome to participate in the workshop. Please select the “$150 - Participant” ticket-price category. Limited quota, first-come-first-served.
- If you would like to attend the workshop as an audience-member, please select the “$100 - Observer” ticket-price category.
- The workshop will be mainly in Cantonese.
- Admission: 30 minutes before the workshop begins.
- No outside food or drinks are allowed inside the venue.
- *Fringe Club membership card MUST be presented at the door.
- **Student card/ Identity card MUST be presented at the door.
“Jazz-Go-Central, Jazz-Go-Fringe” is financially supported by the Arts Capacity Development Funding Scheme of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
The content of this programme does not reflect the views of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Hong Kong Fringe Club reserves the right to change the programme and tutor